All Saints, Jordanhill, has partnered with a Vineyard church to support a food bank serving north west Glasgow. The Storehouse is located less than a mile from All Saints in Linden Street, Anniesland, in the white-painted former Elim church building visible from Bearsden Road (click here for location map).
It’s open every Saturday morning to give packages of food and toiletries to around 35 recipients referred by churches, charities and statutory agencies. Many have had their benefits cut – sometimes only temporarily, but the family still needs to be fed. Some are asylum seekers with no income whatsoever. Others simply can’t cope.
The service is an outreach by Glasgow West End Vineyard church, which meets in Notre Dame secondary school. They established Storehouse in 2011 as part of their social ministry.
Peter Fowler, the compassion pastor at Vineyard, told The Herald in December 2012: “When we first started, we weren’t entirely sure how great the need was.
“When we did open, we really realised there was a huge need that was hidden beneath the surface. The aim is not to make people dependent on us, but to help them to break the cycle of poverty, which has lots of different causes.”
Peter visited All Saints’ Vestry and congregation three times in early 2013, impressing its members greatly with his explanations of the ministry’s biblical foundation and practical approach. Both Vestry and congregation welcomed the opportunity to engage ecumenically in a local social action outreach, and since April 2013 we have been making weekly contributions of food and toiletries.
Please consider picking up some of these items as you do your usual shop …[dropshadowbox align=”none” effect=”lifted-both” width=”100%px” height=”” background_color=”#ffffff” border_width=”1″ border_color=”#dddddd” ]– Food: tinned fish, meat, fruit and veg; pasta, rice and cooking sauce; tea, coffee, long-life milk, small bags of sugar; juice; small packs of cereal.
– Toiletries: washing powder, tablets and liquid; washing up liquid; shampoo; soap, shampoo, shower gel; toothbrushes and paste; toilet roll; size 4 or 4+ nappies.[/dropshadowbox]
You don’t have to be a member of All Saints or Glasgow Westend Vineyard to help. You can hand in your contributions …
- At All Saints during any service time;
- At Morrisons in Anniesland. There’s a special trolley near the cafe entrance.
- At the Storehouse itself … 10 am – 12 noon on Saturdays at Linden Street, Anniesland (white building behind Anniesland Methodist church);
- At the Vineyard Centre, 89 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow, G11 6PW during office hours; do ring beforehand to check the office is staffed on 0141 334 6746.
Storehouse can be found on the web at glasgowvineyard.org/glasgowvineyard/?projects=storehouse-food-bank, and the Herald feature at tinyurl.com/b2oxcwz.